5 ways for small businesses to get found locally
We now know for a fact that local search is crucial for small businesses to get found by todayâ€™s consumer. Despite that knowledge, a recent survey by Street Fight highlighted that 25% of small business owners say that search engine optimization is where they need the most help.
Search engine optimization does not have to be overly complicated. There are simple ways to improve your already existing website and mobile experience that will help you stand apart from the rest.
- Content is key. Making sure that your website is up to date is displays important information in an organized manner is the first step in putting your businessâ€™ best foot forward. Including some more detailed content about what you do or about your products will go a long way for search engines to understand what your about.
- Pay attention to your mobile experience. Since Google updated their search to give priority to websites offering a responsive mobile experience, it is now impossible for a business to ignore this aspect of their online image. Test out your website on a mobile device yourself and look at it from customerâ€™s perspective â€“ Can you find the contact information? Do you understand what the business is about? Is your product page showing the right information?
- Get street cred. Reviews are a significant signal that others love what you do and that you are who you say you are. It helps build your reputation and the consumerâ€™s hard to gain trust online. Add reviews to your site and encourage your happy customerâ€™s to share there and on local review sites.
- Get listed. Find the most influential directories in your area and get listed. Some directories could include Yelp, Yellow Pages, local business listingsâ€¦ etc.
- Get social! Because social media sites (Facebook, Yelp, Trip Advisor) are so relevant to the way people interact online, they often will come up pretty high on Googleâ€™s search results. This means that paying attention to your page and updating the content regularly will help you transfer these visitors to your website.
Using these 5 simple ways and a little bit of time, you will be on your way to a successful local search strategy. Donâ€™t forget to keep a close eye on what works and what doesnâ€™t work in order to further refine it when you are ready to take it a step further.